Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Gym routine

Today was a typical work day for me. I went to work out at lunchtime. I was doing the Spartacus workout (not to be confused with the "300 workout") with a co-worker buddy of mine. But he has transferred to another state office within our company two weeks ago, so I no longer have a workout buddy. And we know we need some peer motivation to kick it up a notch every once in awhile. So when my friend left, I didn't do the workout on my own. Plus since I was taking my pre-bronze Moves test last week, I didn't want to risk injury or soreness last week (and let me tell you, the Spartacus gets me SORE) for my test. Hence I took it easy on the gym last week and did the usual 20 min cardio/weight machines/stretching routine.

But today I bit the bullet and did the workout, except for the pushup ones and the ones that require you to hold the pushup positions. I also only do them with 6 pound weights (the lightest ones available in our gym). When I am in a hurry I only do 15 reps twice on each exercise, which speeds it up a bit. The directions call for you to do the reps in perfect form so maybe speed doesn't always equal good form. I do still feel soreness afterward though so I know my muscles worked.

The best part of working out is stretching afterward. I like to work on my splits. My left side split is still pretty sad looking :( but the right one is good. On a good day I can even go all the way down, I guess it depends if I am warmed up enough. I am not yet too flexible where I can do them off the bat without warming up, so don't expect split moves on the dance floor :) However more consistently they are about an inch off the ground and with more effort, I can get all the way down but then I can only hold it there for a quick count of 10. Ha ha.

Tomorrow depending how sore I am (quads are starting to feel tight) I might just take it easy tomorrow and do my regular routine or maybe just the first 3 or 4 exercises of the Spartacus.

No comments:

Post a Comment